Kingdom Rush Origins is the third game in a series of immersive tower defense games developed by Iron Hide Game Studios (the first two called Kingdom Rush and Kingdom Rush Frontiers).
Each of these games plays out relatively the same. Waves of enemies stumble down the path, trying to get to the other side via a chicken-crosses-the-road syndrome. The only problem is that there you are in the way with all of your towers and soldiers, ready to destroy them. Of course, no one poses the question of who is the real bad guy here, who is invading who, who attacked who first? These, of course, are stupid questions to ask when playing a game that doesn’t care much for a cohesive storyline (suddenly, at the end level, you’re in the heart of a volcano trying to destroy a powerful jewel, but surprise, surprise, someone decides not to do it)
Is it worth it?
Yeah, forget the plot. The gameplay is as excellent as the other Kingdom Rush games, which is better than almost any other tower defense game on the platform. With a “storyline” spanning 15 levels and one endless level called Valor’s Rest, Kingdom Rush is a solid $0.99 purchase. Length of gameplay is absolutely perfect for a game app that costs one dollar—Not too long, but not too short either. With the inclusion of Valor’s Rest (the endless level not present in previous Kingdom Rush games) Kingdom Rush has finally achieved everything a good tower defense game needs.
Tips, Cheats, Hints
- Build towers around the choke point, which is the narrowest point on the map that all the monsters must cross through to reach the end. Make sure to put at least one barracks there and even your hero there in order to further stall enemies when they approach the this area.
- Pay attention to enemies resistant types, if they have magical defense or physical defense. See what types of towers are more effective against certain types of enemies.
- Save your special abilities for last resort measures. When a large group is clumped up close or when a few enemies have slipped through your defenses.
- Keep your hero towards the end of the map or close to the choke point, where he might be able to do the most damage without getting killed.
- Always build your range towers around your soldiers. This gives your range towers more time to impress more damage upon the enemy.
All Kingdom Rush games are available on iPad, iPhone, and And